Marauders Live >>..................................................................................................................................................... Marauder(s) IN THE LOOP


>> Polite-ics


E-mail this post



Swear Allegiance (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



It turns out, that according to a recent survey of the biggest world cities, Mumbai was rated the rudest. And, expectedly, this evoked a RUDE outbreak of abuses and derogatory remarks for the poor magazine. Well, I'm no Reader's Digest, nor have I the resources to hold a survey. But, to put it in Einstein's terms, I shall speak of my own experience.

I haven't heard many people receiving a phone call with "Hello... may I know who's calling?" or "Hello, aap kaun bol rahe hain?". It always comes down to: "Hell-lo, Kaun?" in a not-so-friendly tone. Sometimes, callers begin interrogation even before introducing themselves. "Hello? Pehle Batao Aap Kaun?" Or worse, "Chunnu ko phone dena." One thing I've noticed which is not so much rude, as it is funny, is the fact that when asked WHO is calling, people say: "Main Chandigarh Se Bol Raha Hun" or "C-barah waalon ke yahaan se". For God sake, don't you have a NAME?

But otherwise, people are warm. Not only warm-hearted, but actually, temperature-wise, warm. When my father's long lost college friend, oversized Mr Walia (name changed) came to my house last week, I felt the heat emanating when he squeezed me into a hug saying, "Munda jawaan ho gaya hai, hain?" And I always thought you're supposed to be a toddler all your life.

The best place to come across the greatest examples of rudeness are at the post office or MCD office. "Sab apne apne form do baje se pehle jama kara do. Hum bhi toh insaan hain, humein bhi toh khana khana hai", said a mahila officer, who'd just been up from an hour-long nap on her desk. If you request a post officer to hurry up a bit, he'd say, "Apne aap kar lo, itni hi jaldi hai toh."

Well, the grocers around my place aren't too keen on customer feel-good either. Because I have to ask at least five times for a packet of chooran only to find out that he has only Haathi Brand - Lena hai toh lo, varna dimaag mat kharab karo.

For a little sophistication in rudeness, fly Air India or Indian where trained men and women give you a taste of India’s Incredible Inhospitality. “Abhi se bata do kisko kya chahiye, main baad mein nahin aaoongi.

You know very well who to look up to for a taste of ‘Gaaliyaan 2006’ or haryanvi humour – Bus drivers. I dare not try to explain it to you. It’s better left understood.

Overall we’re not all that rude. Except that one or two swear-words (you know which) escape the mouth often, or for the fact that we love ogling at Gori Mem’s who visit India.

PS: Rudeness reaches new heights when it comes into inexperienced, frustrated and unconfident, inferiority-complex-ridden teachers, who try to prove their superiority every minute. (Samajhdaar ko ishaara kaafi hai)


4 Responses to “Polite-ics”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    truly said.

    my example of rudeness~

    happened yesterday only. I was at the metro station. and the guy at the checking place let 5 women in without checking (ok, i understand why but cant they carry bombs?). then came my turn , and that 4 ft 11' repulsive ogre (rudeness, huh??) first checked me foot to toe. and then started checking my "such a think" bag. i got frustated and said "There is a bomb in it" in a jokin tone . He said"now come with me to the security room. u will be interrogated for 30 min" and started saying things i couldnt have imagined(all types of sluts). I simply ran. And ran. And ran.

    was lukin to catch some tihar air, though.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Oh yes, people are rude.
    Even the people you'd expect to be most slimy courteous are slimy dungies. Today an ICICI idiot called up and wanted to 'sell' me a credit card. Yes 'Sell' his damn credit card as if it is apples for sale 30 rupees\kg. And when I said no (for ofcourse I did) he asks "Kyon?" in such an indignant tone that you almost think have you committed a crime. And then when you are about to reply, he bangs the phone down. So much for customer services.

    Being rude is not always being verbally so. For example, I called up a close friend, only to find his mother telling me he is in the Latrine. And just when I am about to keep the phone down, a voice comes up alright "Kiska phone hai, mummy?” I mean why cant parents realize that 'unke bachoo ko nazar nahi lagegi' if they let others know they're studying. And LATRINE for god's sake. If it happens at my end, I would commit suicide.

    And there are sexist maniacs at all places. McDonalds comes to my mind first.
    I'm like "One Mcgrill and please add in some chilli sachets" and across the counter, nobody's taking my order. "Yes ma'am. Good evening. What would you like to have?” Even the girl who is standing last in the queue gets embarrassed.

    The funny thing is, nobody even realizes they’re being rude.

    And there are the obvious cases - Rickshaw waalas, bus, auto people, and of course Miss KA, whose rudeness charade never gets over. No wonder she is still unmarried.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    What was that again.. the three most common elements are Hydrogen, rudeness and stupidity :)

    Speaking of rude profs... I don't think anyone can beat my degree college co-ordinator, with his quintessential 'Oh you're still alive, I thought you must be dead!' He's so famous he's actually been given his own community on Orkut and people post the latest 'witticisms' there ... this for a guy who retorted 'Ya right!' and hung up on my face!

    So... how've you guys been?? long time no see?!

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    hmmm...dunno about others....but i m nailed to a wooden coffin inside the earth. Come , visit me sometime.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


>> The Maraudership

>> Previous Posts

>> Backstash


>> Leave a Mark

Sign the Guestbook from Bravenet.com

>> Allegiance

Orlando BOOM
'Itching' Expressions
The Mithrandir
Neo Retreat


>> Bole Toh...


>> MarauderTake